Welcome to my blog! This is where I'll share a little about my recent sessions, my family, thoughts on life and some ideas about portrait photography. Feel free to check back often or make comments. I love to hear from people! For more information e-mail me at info@maggiemalsonphotography.com.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Western Idaho Fair ~ Getting personal

Two weekends ago, our family showed Angus cattle at the Western Idaho Fair in Boise. We always have a great time visiting with family and fellow cattle enthusiasts. The kids also love the chance to help out with the show cattle, watering, feeding, leading heifers, running errands, etc. For those of you who didn't know, my husband and I live and work on a registered Angus and Hereford cattle operation owned by his family. We love the lifestyle we have--being able to raise our kids around animals, teaching them about agriculture, providing food and fiber for our country, taking care of the resources God has given us and realizing how much hard work and dedication it takes to run a family cattle operation. And even though it is a lot of work, we also have fun too. The fair is a great way for us to advertise our program, genetics and animals we raise. Our cattle are raised as the parent stock for cow-calf producers. We raise bulls to be used by commercial cattle producers to raise the beef consumers eat. We also sell show heifers for youth to show in 4-H, FFA and breed association shows, as well as purebred females for other registered herds. Just wanted to give you a glimpse of the other side of my family and what we do.

In fact, my start in photography was photographing livestock, mainly cattle and horses, and people, for the stories I wrote for livestock publications. I have always had a love of agriculture, growing up in a small town in Kansas and attending Kansas State University to major in agricultural communications. My experience in interviewing and writing stories, as well as photographing America's farmers and ranchers has given me great experience and prepared me for my role as a portrait photographer. I love asking questions, and getting to know people. We are all so unique and offer such different perspectives on life. I feel my interviewing skills help me when meeting new clients and getting to know them and to help them feel relaxed. Many of the people I've interviewed for stories have become friends. And that's what I love about my portrait clients as well. We get to know each other and become friends. That's one of the best parts about this work. Preserving memories, meeting new people and making new friends.

And as a lifestyle photographer, I am dedicated to capturing the details and little moments of life for other families as well as my own. So here is just a little glimpse of show day for us.





(I do apologize for some of these images as they were taken with my P&S. At times, I have to take off my photographer hat, put on the mom/wife/gofer hat and just grab the moments as they come in amongst keeping track of little ones, holding heifers or running back to the stall for a forgotten item.)

Visitors

Labels

Search This Blog

Popular Posts