Welcome to my blog! This is where I'll share a little about my recent sessions, my family, thoughts on life and some ideas about portrait photography. Feel free to check back often or make comments. I love to hear from people! For more information e-mail me at info@maggiemalsonphotography.com.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Fields of Flowers | Idaho Children's Photographer


It's definitely spring here! Lovely warm days intertwined with cool, rainy ones. Everything is in bloom. And even though these little purple flowers are technically weeds, they can make a really pretty backdrop, especially with a lot of bokeh!

What is bokeh? 
"In photography, bokeh is the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image," as defined by Wikipedia. It's the look when the image background looks all blurry and fuzzed out while the subject seems to pop out of the image.

Bokeh is achieved when you have a shallow depth of field. Without getting too technical, depth of field (DOF) is the distance between the nearest and farthest objects in a scene that appear acceptably sharp in an image. So for example, because I focused on her face (mainly the eyes) anything in front of that plane (in the foreground) and anything behind the plane of her face (background) will be out of focus. Some lens do this better than others, and the distance of the subject to the background also affects bokeh.

Bokeh is also affected by the aperture used. Aperture controls how much light is being let into the lens and hitting the film or in this case the digital sensor of the camera.

This was by no means an in-depth lesson, but hopefully you learned a little something. And if you have more questions about anything mentioned here or other basic camera questions, leave them in the comments and I'll answer them in another post.

Essence and "Your Story" sessions are both available now, so call today to book your appointment. I will have a limited fall schedule, so don't wait until the last minute to capture memories of your loved ones. Enjoy your weekend!


8 comments:

Melissa Jean said...

Great little lesson! You explain things so well.
And I lovvveee her little jean jacket!

Rachel Brenke said...

LOVE her jacket :) beautiful!

MW Photography said...

Great Post I love the little lessons!! :))

Jenn Valluzzo said...

Beautiful images and a great short explanation here!

Maïa said...

They don't look like weeds, they're nice and I agree, a nice background for these photos ^^

Ally said...

what a cute little girl!!! great lesson too!

Cristin Emrick said...

I just love jean jackets. Fave picture of my daughter is onver her in her jean jacket at 8 years old!

Cristin Emrick said...

I just love jean jackets. Fave picture of my daughter is onver her in her jean jacket at 8 years old!


Visitors

Labels

Search This Blog

Popular Posts